This week for my Interview Series, we have Cameron Blair, Digital Media Consultant at Wilkinson Group, talking to us about his career path, blogging for PR, staying on top of news and trends and where the communications industry is headed.
Well, I started out as a photographer, snapping pics for a local newspaper in the Philippines while I was travelling through the southern island of Mindaneo. When I moved to Sydney I started my own business shooting weddings and events. I also did a bit of web design work as well.
2. Did you ever utilise social networking services like Twitter or LinkedIn in any of your job hunts?
No not really, although I do see many people using those sites to find work, I myself have only used social media for reputation building and personal socializing. I suppose the people on Twitter are more interesting than my real life friends. Just kidding.
3. As a contributor to Wilkinson Group’s blog, what sort of role do you think blogging plays in the PR?
Blogging is a fantastic tool for clients. Firstly, (and most importantly) it helps companies drive sales through e-commerce and SEO. Secondly, it allows companies to maintain and increase a positive reputation. Finally, it gives companies a voice and lets them join the conversation.
4. You’re a Digital Media Consultant at Wilkinson Group as well as the Director of Communications at IPREX Global PR and Communications, how do you manage to balance your work / life effectively? Or do you just not sleep?
Sleep? What’s that? Yeah it’s pretty full on, but I do manage to have a great work/life balance. I do work very hard and long hours, but I love what I do, so I don’t mind. My wife might have another opinion on that though.
5. Communication professionals have to perform a wide range of tasks during their day-to-day; monitoring campaigns, writing and updating content, advising clients, developing strategies, etc. But what do you think is the single most important skill for a communication professional?
Integrity, I can’t stress this enough. If you’re not honest in this game, then you’re quickly found out and that’s the end of you. Always be honest.
6. With social media, digital technology and communication platforms evolving at such rapid speeds, how do you stay on top of industry news and trends?
Ever heard of Jeff Bullas? He’s probably the guy I read the most. Mashable is also pretty cool. There is so much information out there that it is pretty overwhelming.
7. What would be the top 3 blogs / websites that you visit most frequently?
Jeff Bullas, Mashable and… hmmm… PR Daily News… yeah PR Daily news is great.
8. And lastly, in the next 5 years, where do you see the communications industry headed?
From a PR perspective, I think it will boom. Especially for Australia because many Chinese businesses are looking to expand in overseas markets, and, thankfully, they will need public relations to develop their brands and communicate their key messages to the media.
***To get in touch with Cameron say hi on Twitter @CameronJamez***